A list of upcoming rallies and grassroots resources curated by KRCL’s RadioACTive team
July 15 - July 20:
- Latino Conservation Week 2019, Join others in your community as we learn about, protect, and enjoy the natural world around us! Partnering with Utah Sierra Club, Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance, Tracy Aviary, Summit Land Conservancy, Hartland Community 4 Youth & Families and Jordan River Commission.
Tuesday, July 16:
- SLC Community Council Mayoral Debate, 5:00 p.m. Jewett Center for the Performing Arts, 1840 South 1300 East, Salt Lake City, Organized by Westminster College's Dumke Center for Civic Engagement and Associated Students of Westminster.
- ¡Somos lo que comemos!/We are what we eat! 5:30 p.m. Jackson School, 750 West 200 North, Salt Lake City, Este taller está abierto a la comunidad en Mary Jackson y el Jardín Comunitario de Rose Park. Presentación en video de practicas de sustentabilidad de lo antiguo a lo moderno. Se creara una tabla para describir todos los elementos de milpa de cada cultura. Habrá una bandera para que los participantes compartan sus memorias de lo que milpa significa para ellos. (El taller será presentado 2 días; los participantes pueden elegir uno para asistir).
- Somos lo que comemos!/We are what we eat! 5:30 p.m. Jackson School, 750 West 200 North, Salt Lake City, This workshop is open to the community at either the Mary Jackson School Garden or the Rose Park Community Garden. Presentation of sustainability practices from ancient to modern. A board will be created to describe all elements of milpa from every culture. There will be a banner for participants to share their memories of what milpa means to them. (This workshop will be presented in 2 days; participants may choose one to attend.)
- New Roots Farmers Market Kick Off at Central Park, 5:00 p.m. Central Park Community Center, 2830 S 200 E, South Salt Lake, Along with the expected tomatoes, beets, and kale, New Roots SLC refugee farmers grow culturally relevant crops native to the countries they are from. This culturally diverse food market is a great stop for those seeking vegetables grown in their country of origin, or those trying out a new recipe.
Wednesday, July 17:
- Taking up Space Luncheon, 11:00 a.m. Join The Wave in welcoming Senator Kamala Harris, Sheriff Rosie Rivera, Betsy Wallace, and Laura Desmond to discuss the importance of taking up space.
- Meet Utahns Against Police Brutality and GPUT, 7:00 p.m. Days-Riverdale Branch Library, 1575 W 1000 N Salt Lke City, Please join UAPB and the Green Party of Utah for a presentation and meet and greet. UAPB is an organization striving to keep our Utah communities safe. Light refreshments will be served.
- Utah Chapter Sierra Club, Night at Tracy Aviary, Join Tracy Aviary members for a night at the aviary. Celebrate with others in your community as your learn about the Aviary in celebration of Latino Conservation Week.
Thursday, July 18:
- Utah Silvestre: Film Screening & Plática, 6:00 p.m. at Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance, 425 E. 100 S., SLC. Meet at Cotopaxi for a plática (talk) on some Latinx history in wild Utah. They will show the short film "WILD UTAH", subtitled in Spanish, learn about places in Utah wilderness that are characterized by Latinx culture, and celebrate Latino Conservation Week. This plática will be done in Spanglish, but mostly English.
Monday, July 22:
Wednesday, July 24:
Thursday, August 1:
- SLC Mayoral Primary Debate, Hosted by Utah Chapter Sierra Club, 6:00 p.m. Salt Lake City Public Library, 210 E 400 S, Salt Lake City, The Utah Sierra Club Political Team is excited to gather local members and supporters to an exciting free political debate centered on key environmental issues facing Salt Lake City. The University of Utah's Natalie Gochnour will moderate this exciting debate. Candidates will be given an opportunity to showcase their ideas to positively transform Utah's environment; amidst a growing population, air quality challenges, nuclear threats, and beloved but threatened national forest areas. Questions will be largely focused on environmental issues and related social justice topics.
Civic Engagement Resources: